Thursday, November 6, 2008

Suffering

We all have experienced suffering in our lives. We cannot judge another's suffering based on our own experiences. Everyone's experiences are individual and although we may have had similar things happen to us, each situation is unique. No two people process the same experience the same way.

When I think of suffering I think of Job. I also think of all of the things that have happened in my lifetime that have caused me pain. On the whole - I would say that Job did a much better job in his endurance than I.

Today I was reading Job 36 and praying for a friend of mine who is in pain. This happened to catch my eye...

"He rescues those who sufer. For He gets their attention through adversity."

How many times have we turned to God when things were perfect in our lives? How much faster do we turn to Him when things are bad?

I truely believe that God intends to cause us no harm. Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I also believe that God gave us free will and that sometimes our choices can cause us to suffer. But nothing is lost on God - He uses every opportunity to reach out to His children. Some of us though do not take His hand until we can no longer hold up our own. For you - I pray this prayer.

Lord God, Father in Heaven, you are the one true Holy God. I pray for those who are suffering. I ask your healing and your mercy be upon us. For we know not what we do. I pray that you would cast the deamons from our souls and that you would fill us with the strongest of your angels. Lord you do not harm us but allow us to fall from our own will. I pray that we would reach up and take hold of your gracious hand and allow you to pull us from our own ashes. Lord God be with those who we have hurt on the way and give them peace. I ask your blessings be among the sufferers. Give us endurance and a light to look towards. Grant us forgiveness and justice. For you are the one who carrys us when we cannot walk. It is always your footprints when we think we are alone. Hold us Lord. Amen.

No comments: